Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My Summer Obsession: Tart Frozen Yogurt

I am a hardcore chocoholic. I used to not even consider chocolate-free desserts worth a second glance. But a few years ago, I gave fruit a chance and realized, "Wow, this stuff isn't so bad."

Since then a whole new world has opened up. Summers in particular have never been the same. There's nothing quite as refreshing as a fruit-based dessert. Now my summers seemed to be defined by a fruit-based dessert.
The fruit tart summer. The strawberry smoothie summer. And now the frozen yogurt summer.

The fro-yo craze has been around for a while, but I didn't get hooked until now. It is the perfect tangy way to end a hot summer day. I can't stop thinking about my next yogurt fix. It has almost replaced cupcakes...at least while the weather is ridiculously hot.

DC has two great fro yo shops: TangySweet and Caliyogurt. Both are great and I can't decide which I like best. I haven't developed my yogurt palate enough to distinguish the difference between the two. Nor can I tell the difference between the stores - both look like a cross between a bar and an Ikea. The main difference is that TangySweet carries Red Velvet Cupcakery cupcakes, which is pretty awesome, though unsurprisingly the cupcakes distract me from the yogurt. So part of me likes the simplicity of Caliyogurt. Either way, you can't go wrong. If you don't have either in your area, Trader Joe's has an amazing Plain Non-Fat Frozen Yogurt that is great with pomegranate seeds, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment