Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The recipe for leftover holiday turkey...

In spite of my adventurous spirit dining out, when it comes to packing a lunch for work, I am notoriously picky. I don't like anything soggy and abhor the microwave. This leaves a limited range of possibilities. To avoid a soggy sandwich, I used to pack bread, lunch meat, dressing, cheese and lettuce separately and make a sandwich in the kitchenette. But this was a lot of effort, and when lunch rolled around, it seemed like so much work to put together a sandwich. After that, there was the apple, cheese, and crackers meal. But I only liked the apple sliced freshly and it turns out that coworkers get a bit skittish when you have a giant knife and cutting board at your desk. So recently I've settled on bringing cereal. It's fast and easy; the looks I get are still strange, but not quite as fearful as when I was slicing apples.

Lately, the cereal solution has been getting old. It wasn't until I was looking for a creative way to make use of Thanksgiving turkey leftovers (have I mentioned I'm also picky about leftovers?) that would trick me into not noticing their leftover qualities, that I found a way to also solve my lunch conundrum. Simply Recipes had a delicious-looking Turkey Curry recipe. I made the curry with apples and, on a bed of greens, it is the perfect lunch to take to work. The cilantro adds a fragrant quality to the curry that I love. Next time I think I'll add almonds, the salad needs a bit of a crunch to round it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment