Saturday, December 5, 2009

Christmas Desserts: The Odyssey Begins

Christmas is all about desserts. Growing up, my grandma would make an array of cookies, fudge, Kris Kringle bars, hay stacks, and other holiday goodies for family, friends, and neighbors. Then she would make an extra batch of each "just in case." Just in case an unexpected friend, stranded motorist, or postman stopped by the house. It may seem odd that anyone would feel the need to prepare for an unexpected visitor popping in, but to my grandma this was a very real possibility and to ignore it would have mortifying consequences. What if someone stopped by and she didn't have any Christmas cookies for them? What would they think? Certainly their Christmas would be a little bit bleaker, and how would she live with herself then? I'm fairly certain a complete stranger could knock on her door at Christmas time and they would walk away with a tin of candies. Throughout December, cookies and candies would cover every flat surface in the kitchen and dining room, sometimes even taking over parts of the living room. There was no escape. The "just in case" cookies and candies were rarely needed, but that did not stop them from disappearing by Christmas day. Given this tradition, it's hard for me to fathom a Christmas without a massive sugar overdose.

This year is no different. When I signed up for the Christmas potluck at work, I knew I would bring a dessert, the only question was which dessert. My Derby Pie went over well at my work's Thanksgiving potluck, so expectations were high. After a lot of consideration, I decided to make Kentucky Bourbon Balls and (Ohio) Buckeyes, both Christmas candies from my childhood.

The Bourbon Balls require prep a few days ahead of time, so I got started tonight. I'm a little worried because I misread the filling recipe and had to double it (1 1/4 cup of whipped butter and 3 1/2 cups of confectioner's sugar) to avoid disaster. And I'm not sure I got the right amount of bourbon, I added to taste...but I really like bourbon, so I hope it's not overpowering. I also added bourbon vanilla extract, just in case there wasn't enough bourbon and sugar flavor. Now I am waiting out the hour the filling has to set before I can roll it into balls and refrigerate overnight.

Fortunately, Buckeyes are a bit easier to make and there is no way I can miss with the best flavor combination ever: peanut butter and chocolate .

No comments:

Post a Comment