Thursday, May 14, 2009

Warning: Do Not Make This Pie Unless You Want A Crippling Addiciton

Derby Day is another one of my favorite days of the year. This is mainly because I grew up in Louisville and remember how much fun the Derby parades, fireworks, steamboat races, and parties were. But my fondness also comes from an undying love of Derby pie. It is the only dessert that is more addictive than cupcakes. Which is why I try to limit my Derby pie intake to the month of May. I am not exaggerating when I say that if I did not stop myself, I would continually eat this pie and never leave my house except to get more pie. At some point I would have to quit my job to devote my life to Derby pie, at which point I would rob my parents and sell their television on the street to finance my fix. At least with cupcakes I can still function normally.

I thought that Derby pie was only extremely addictive to me. And then, for the first time ever, I shared my Derby pie with friends. It was not pretty. One friend, who will remain nameless, drove over to my house and picked up some pie; she could not even wait to drive to the first stop light before she opened the container and started eating the pie with her hands while driving. I am not making this up. It is just that addictive.

Like crystal meth, Derby pie is that it is incredibly inexpensive and easy to make.




Equally critical for a proper Derby Day though not as universally addictive, are mint juleps. If you love bourbon as much as I do, this is your drink. If not, there is always the Derby pie. Mint juleps are uncommon in most bars (the Round Robin Bar and the Majestic are the only two places in the DC area that I know have them). So it's good to have a recipe at hand when Derby Day rolls around (scroll down to see the Willard's famous mint julep recipe).

No comments:

Post a Comment