Thursday, March 5, 2009

2 Amys and the search for the perfect dessert...

As long as I've lived in DC, people have raved about 2 Amys. It is the only pizzeria in the city that the Verace Pizza Napoletana Association has certified to make authentic Neapolitan pizza. DCists are obsessed with this place.

At the risk of jeopardizing my foodie street cred, I'll admit that until last weekend, I'd never been to 2 Amys.

Sometimes you need a good friend to push you. My friend Sarah and I have
had a lot of quality DC pizza, but not 2 Amys. She reminded me that we didn't let a 30 minute drive deter us from Dewey's Pizza, why let Georgetown traffic keep us from 2 Amys?

Before long, we were seated at the window at a surprisingly non-frou frou restaurant.

As it was Sarah's birthday, it was only proper to start the festivities with a doughnut:

Light, buttery, sugary - it was extraordinary.

Then we ordered a stuffed crust Ripieno Basillico Ricotta pizza with ricotta, fresh mozzarella, grana, pesto, tomato:
One word: fantastic.

We were on a roll, so we decided to leave the guns and take the cannoli:
Should have kept the guns. If this is certified Neapolitan cannoli, Neapolitans should stick to pizza. The pastry was light and flaky (as it should be), but the filling was bitter. (It had an acrid hint of sherbet.) We were shocked to end such an amazing meal on a sour note.

But when it comes to dessert, Sarah and I don't give up easily. So we headed over to ACKC...
Is this Heaven on Earth? Possibly.

I almost broke down and had a cupcake overdose when I saw this:
But two weeks away from making it to my half marathon cupcake-free (more on that later), I had come too far to cave. I successfully distracted myself with the second best thing, a chocolate and Reese's Pieces covered pretzel (Sarah's chocolate pie is in the background):
Both desserts made up for our cannoli trauma.

ACKC has the best hot chocolates in town and my Obama peppermint hot chocolate was the perfect compliment to dessert. (DC has not gotten over naming drinks after Obama. In this case, it really wasn't necessary to use the president's name to increase sales. The drink sells itself, who doesn't love peppermint hot chocolate?)

Bottom Line: 2 Amys is well worth battling traffic unless you are only going for a good cannoli. ACKC continues to impress die-hard chocoholics. DC needs to stop naming its drinks after Obama.

No comments:

Post a Comment