Monday, March 30, 2009

Cupcake Overdose

I gave up cupcakes on January 1st until my half marathon on March 21st. Running 13.1 miles is nothing compared to giving up cupcakes for 80 days. Since then I have been on a week-long cupcake binge.

My parents kicked it off with the best birthday gift ever:



I LOVE the Cup-a Cake! Now I can have cupcakes on the go! I also tried the yummy red velvet cupcake mix:


Next, I checked out Best Buns Bread Co.'s cupcakes, which were a surprising standout in the Washington Post's 2008 Cupcake Wars:


This was by far the best high-quality cupcake for the dollar. $2.75 for a heavenly jumbo cupcake, who could want more? The whipped cream cheese and coconut icing worked well with the rich, fudgy cake.


In spite of my skepticism, some friends and I met at Georgetown Cupcake this Saturday to see if it could lived up to the hype. After waiting in the rain for 20 minutes, we finally got to the counter. Though we vowed to only get a chocolate coconut cupcake a piece, we walked out with this box:


Of course we had to try the chocolate ganache (it won the Cupcake Wars) and it is not physically possible for me to pass up a peanut butter chocolate cupcake.


It may not be the most cupcake for your dollar (the $2.75 cupcakes are petite but cute), but Georgetown Cupcake wins. It deserves its "best cupcake in DC" title. The chocolate coconut was fabulous. It was fudgier than Best Buns, and the frosting was superb and quite generous. The chocolate ganache was rich and creamy, but wasn't as impressive as the other two. The peanut butter chocolate blew my mind. The frosting was light, whipped and complimented the chocolate cake perfectly.


The rest of the weekend was a blur of cupcakes and friends, so this morning I walked to work reluctantly vowing to stop the cupcake madness before concerned family members commit me to rehab. So it figures that I walked into the Monday morning staff meeting and came face-to-face with:


My coworkers some how found out it was my birthday and one of them made dark chocolate cupcakes with marshmallow coconut frosting from scratch! These were professional-quality cupcakes.
Perfect for early mornings, these were sweet but not too rich. They were pure genius.

I will stop the cupcake binge tomorrow, I swear...

No comments:

Post a Comment