Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Canberra - Ginger Room

I am a big history nerd, especially when it comes to politics. So when I heard there was a restaurant in Canberra's Old Parliament House, I geeked out. From 1927 until 1988, the Australian Parliament was based out of the Old Parliament House, then known as the Provisional Parliament House, since it accommodated Parliament while the government built a permanent Parliament House. 61 years later, the Parliament finally moved to the new Parliament House. The Old Parliament House became a venue for cultural events and home to The Ginger Room restaurant.

The Ginger Room restored the Parliament members' private dining room. The restaurant remained faithful to the art deco room while incorporating modern accents and views of the New Parliament House.
The menu offered contemporary food with Asian and French influences. To make the most of this impressive menu, I opted for the degustation with matching wines, it included:

Prawn Wantons with Shiitake Mushrooms

Tomato and Basil Croquettes

Kangaroo Fillet with Pear and Parsnip Purée and Red Currant Glaze

Selection of Cheeses

Red Wine Poached Pear with Cinnamon Spiced Doughnuts

The food was good, but did not live up to its artful presentation. The wantons and croquettes were bland and unmemorable.
I was wary of kangaroo dish, hesitant to eat an animal so tied to the country's identity that it is on the Australian Coat of Arms. But, with the kangaroo population burgeoning and my curiosity getting the better of me, I couldn't pass up the opportunity. Sadly, the kangaroo was not nearly as thrilling as I imagined. The seasoning was nice, but did not bring out the flavors of the meat as well as it could have. I was left wondering if kangaroo fillet was as unexciting as my 100th kangaroo siting (they really are everywhere).

The menu's strengths were the cheese plate and dessert. Diners could chose several cheeses from The Ginger Room's well-stocked cheese cart. (I was impressed that they had a cheese cart - it is a brilliant concept I haven't encountered often enough.) I have a weakness for doughnuts, so I knew I would love dessert. But the poached pear was surprising, momentarily distracting me from my cinnamon doughnut rampage. This may sound unimpressive, but it is no small feat - when I am in the midst of a doughnut rampage, I have a laser-like focus that is rarely deterred.


The historic setting distinguished The Ginger Room, not the food. The menu's concept was clever, but its execution was lacking.

No comments:

Post a Comment