Monday, November 16, 2009

Sydney - Jimmy Liks

King's Cross is Sydney's red light district, where hardly anything is understated. I heard Jimmy Liks' bold Asian flavors were no exception, so I was shocked when I saw its unassuming entrance. Could this be the right place?

Inside, the decor was modern and simple, with lighting that gave a cozy warmth to the dining room.

I already knew I wanted to try as much as possible. The tasting menu promised a challenge with its eight different dishes with copious amounts of rice:

Oyster with Nahm Jim
Chicken Betel Leaf with Smoked Eggplant Chili & Eschalot Relish
Salt & Pepper Baby Squid with Vietnamese Dipping Sauce
Poached Chicken Crab Salad with Leomongrass Coconut Mint & Thai Basil
Crispy Pork Hock with Tamarind & Tamarillo Sauce & Bahm Plah Prik
Aunty Tao's Grilled Chicken with Peanut & Kaffir Lime Dipping Sauce
Vietnamese Braised Waguy Beef with Thai Basil Vietnamese Mint & Chili Lime Dressing
Steamed Gailan with Ginger & Yellow Bean

All of the dishes were impressive, skillfully blending dramatic spices with the featured ingredient. I felt like a kid at Christmas as I made my way through each new concoction. The Poached Chicken Crab Salad with Leomongrass Coconut Mint & Thai Basil was heavenly, the spices were savory but did not overwhelm the crisp, fresh salad - I could have eaten it forever.

The drinks were the best I had on the trip. (I will post later with a quick overview of my favorite Sydney bars, but in the meantime take my word, Jimmy Liks had some tough drink competition.) I tried two teas: Ho Chi and Thai. I didn't think it could get any better than the Thai Tea with fresh lychees, lime vodka sake, and lychee liqueur topped with lemongrass tea, until I tried the Ho Chi Tea. Its green apple and mint smashed with bison grass vodka absinthe and topped with blackcurrant tea were absolutely incredible. I would fly back to Sydney right now just to get one if I could.

Jimmy Liks was not the most critically acclaimed restaurant on the itinerary, nor was it the fanciest, but it was refreshing to go to a restaurant with the confidence and skill to let the food speak for itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment