Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Beat the summer heat...

Recent weeks have been unbearably hot, and as far as I can tell, there's no end in sight. The only option is to fight it. I like to do this by making refreshing drinks. (Similar to my "fight the blizzard" strategy of making warming drinks like hot buttered bourbon.) My current favorites include...

Leland Palmer Tea
This deliciously tangy tea is perfect for summer. I can't wait to substitute the gin with bourbon, seems like a great twist.

Raspberry-Rose Gin Rickey

I've never been a huge gin drinker, but bought a bottle for the Leland Palmer Tea and have plenty left over, so I've had to get creative. This is a refreshing drink and has me thinking that gin may be the perfect summer spirit.

Raspberry Champagne Cocktail
Since I now have all the raspberries from the gin rickey's (and who wants raspberries to go to waste), I thought I'd try something light and fun.

6 Tablespoons of raspberry vodka
As many raspberries as you want
Champagne

Smash the raspberries with the vodka in a martini shaker. Add ice. Shake. Pour into two glasses (don't strain) and top off with champagne.

The only risk of summer drink fun is finding yourself in the ingredient holding pattern I'm obviously experiencing. Though there are worse things, like summer heat without a cool drink...

For more inspiration, Food and Wine has a list of their 20 Best Summer Drinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment