Friday, July 9, 2010

Ted's Bulletin


Ever since reading that the guys behind Matchbox were opening Ted's Bulletin in Capitol Hill, I've been dying to check it out. A retro Americana eatery seemed appropriate for the 4th of July, so last weekend some friends and I tried Ted's.

The restaurant has a great ambiance, incorporating art deco fixtures recycled from the 1928 Philadelphia Convention Center.


The Soda Shop/Bar

The Very Tempting Bakery Counter
(Yes, those are home-made pop tarts on the green cake stand.)

If you can make it past the bakery counter and soda shop (not an easy feat), you'll find yourself in one of the dining room's booths watching a retro movie and checking out the daily desserts (written on a chalk board next to the tv screen) or completely engrossed in an all-American menu. The servers are great and very understanding about the sensory overload thing.

The food is spectacular. There are some interesting twists on the classic burger, like Drew's Peanut Butter Bacon Burger. I opted for the irresistible blue cheese burger combination and will have to try the more creative burgers in future visits...



And I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to try their fantastic mac n' cheese.



But Ted's strength was its out-of-this-world desserts. I am in love with the peanut butter chocolate cake. The peanut butter icing was more peanut buttery than overly sugary sweet, and the chocolate cake was rich and decadent.

The new love of my life.

The fresh blueberry pie was perfect for a summer day and inspiration for my seasonal pie making fantasies.

I also tried the best chocolate milkshake I've ever had in my life, but unfortunately the shake did not make it into a picture as it disappeared too quickly. And if you're looking for a kick to your milkshake, Ted's also has adult milkshakes.

Heaven on earth.

2 comments:

  1. I love that when I googled "homemade pop tarts dc" to show Kristen the amazingly awesome pop tarts from Ted's your blog was the 6th from the top :) Go Syd!

    ReplyDelete