Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Where NOT to take friends and family visiting DC

When a friend or family member from out of town visits you in DC, restaurant choice is critical. For my friend Amanda, the perfect choice seemed to be Bangkok Joe's dumplings and flourless chocolate cake, a bit of shopping, topped off with a trip to Georgetown Cupcake.

Sadly, there was a flaw in my plan: Bangkok Joe's.

I was surprised to find that Bangkok Joe's has declined significantly since my last visit. The service was sub par - the waiter wasn't attentive, but when he did stop by, he hovered uncomfortably. (This was especially awkward when he gave us the checks and was clearly trying to see what we were tipping.) The dumplings were okay, not as good as I remembered. But the tragedy was the flourless chocolate cake. I loved this cake and raved about it to Amanda - it was a driving force behind choosing the restaurant. So it was embarrassing when they served us a soggy chocolate cake smothered with whipped cream and rum. This was NOT the cake I know and love. The betrayal was heartbreaking.

Fortunately, Georgetown Cupcake saved the day.

Moral of the story: Bangkok Joe's may disappoint, but Georgetown Cupcake never will.


Chocolate Squared, Milk Chocolate Birthday Cake, and Maple Cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment