Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Boston - or another excuse for becoming a delinquent blogger...

Last week I was eating my way through Boston with my friend Liz. We checked out some impressive places...

Dining:

When a friend of mine said this French and Cambodian fusion restaurant was her favorite, I added it to my list of places to go. A cozy neighborhood restaurant, Elephant Walk offers knowledgeable servers, a relaxed atmosphere, and mid-range prices. But what really stands out is its awe-inspiring menu with a huge range that accommodated multiple dietary preferences (vegan, gluten-free, and meat lovers). Literally everything on the menu looked delicious. It was so difficult to chose one dish that I almost made a pro-con list. Finally I made a decision.

I started with the Salade de Timbale au Chevre, or Vermont goat cheese tossed with grapes, sweet Moroccan dates, diced Bartlett pear and walnut on a bed of baby greens.


For my entree, I tried the Crevettes Amrita. The dish sautees shrimp in a lightly sweet and spicy Cambodian satay sauce with coriander, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, peanuts, star anise and lemongrass.



I love Italian food, so Boston's North End was like heaven. Italian grocers, pastry shops, and one amazing-looking restaurant after another. But when Liz and I walked past Il Villaggio, we knew it was the restaurant for us. It was small with a reasonably priced yet still tempting menu. Inside, the ambiance was low key but the cool lighting gave it a great vibe. Our waitress was helpful and attentive. The food was excellent. I got a butternut squash ravioli with prosciutto accompanied by a delicious wine.

Dessert:

The best part about any Italian neighborhood is the pastry. In Boston, Mike's Pastry is the place to go. It's always crowded, but worth the wait. The cannoli is phenomenal. I know this because I actually got a cannoli hangover. Not in Boston? You can order Mike's online!

Another great recommendation. This bakery has elegant pastries and cookies with subtle flavors.

A friend and chocolate aficionado recommended Burdick after she went on a Boston Chocolate Tour. It had some of the best chocolate of my life.  The shop also made a good cup of coffee.


Going Out:

They serve mulled wine in November.  Need I say more?

I loved the well-crafted drinks with a dive bar atmosphere.  And who wouldn't be impressed by a place that offers a Manhattan 8 different ways?

No comments:

Post a Comment