Sunday, February 15, 2009

The truth about wheatgrass shots


My yoga teacher suggested everyone try a wheatgrass shot before the next class. This sounded absolutely terrifying. How would I take a shot of grass? Doesn't that require chewing? Why should I put myself through this, does wheatgrass taste like chocolate? My teacher explained that the wheatgrass was milked for its juice (yes these are the words she used to explain the process) and then you take a shot of it. Wheatgrass has tons of anti-oxidants and vitamins, but only if you take the shot immediately and don't let it oxidize.

Whether my looming birthday sends me running toward anything with anti-oxidants or I just love a dare, I decided to check this wheatgrass situation out. My brave friend Anne joined me and we headed to the local Robek's. We chose a 2 ounce shot with an orange juice chaser. Then we watched Michael milk the wheatgrass (sounds wrong, doesn't it?):


Finally our shots were ready. They looked like slime, not encouraging:


But we are brave souls and went for it. At first it tasted sweet, but that taste was closely followed by what tasted like fresh cut grass.

Our post-shot conversation:
Me: That tasted...fresh.
Anne: I feel like a cow.

The taste lingered and both of us noticed a scratchy throat. (Maybe if you have grass allergies this aggravates them?) We also agreed that the 1 ounce shot would have been easier to down without spilling, and you do not want to sip wheatgrass. Overall, worth trying, but if I am going to take a shot of an unpalatable liquid, I'd prefer traditional shots. Maybe a vodka wheatgrass shot?

Fortunately we were able to lose the wheatgrass after-taste next door at my current favorite restaurant Busboy's and Poets. (For those unfamiliar with this food mecca, it combines all things awesome. Incredible brunches, desserts, and food. Plus, it has live poetry readings and a bookstore you can peruse while you wait for a table.)

I passed up my favorite sandwich in the world (the Sweet Fuji Apple and Gorgonzola sandwich with fig spread on toasted walnut raisin bread) to try the vegan Peanut Butter and Banana panini with agave nectar:



It was light and delicious, but it didn't inspire the obsessive devotion of my Fuji Apple sandwich. Still, it is perfect for a filling lunch that won't leave you feeling sluggish and heavy. You can get the sandwich with a side of fruit to maximize the light, healthy feel. I got it with a side of fries because the combination of fries and a peanut butter sandwich was fun and made me feel like a kid again, only more sophisticated. (The six-year-old me would never have touched agave nectar.)

No comments:

Post a Comment