Sunday, October 3, 2010

How a disappointing brunch at Montmartre was salvaged by Crepes at the Market...

Some friends and I heard that some of the best crepes in town were at Montmartre in Eastern Market, so we headed there for brunch. After ordering a round of mimosas, we looked at the menu. There were only three crepes on the menu and two of the three had Swiss cheese. The menu explicitly said "No Substitutions," but my friend is allergic to Swiss cheese asked if it could be left out of the crepe. The waiter said no, explaining that we had to respect the chef. He suggested that my friend try the vegetable crepe without Swiss cheese. But that crepe didn't sound nearly as good. While I agree that the chef should be able to set the menu, I cannot excuse a restaurant that doesn't accommodate food allergies!

We left disappointed and crepeless.

Fortunately, Crepes at the Market saved the day.  With reasonable prices and an extensive menu of sweet and savory crepes, our brunch was salvaged.  After a ham, apple,  cheese savory crepe and a delicious banana, strawberry, Nutella crepe Montmartre was a distant memory.

2 comments:

  1. I still can't believe they were so arrogant, telling me to respect the chef in response to my food allergy! Crepes at the Market is one of the best things Eastern Market has to offer as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete