Thursday, June 23, 2011

Oklahoma City Highlights

I visited my parents in Oklahoma City last week and took the opportunity to check out the local fare.

I was disconcerted when the waiter at Bricktown Brewery, told me the restaurant was taking fruits and veggies off their menu, but fortunately not all the restaurants were as committed to spreading obesity.  Zorba's Mediterranean Cuisine had tons of delicious dishes with fresh veggies, fruits, and herbs - not to mention the very un-DC prices!  I also loved Picasso's in the artsy Paseo neighborhood, they had an amazing fresh beet, goat cheese, and arugula salad, but my favorite thing was their homemade cheesecake drizzled with strawberry kiwi champagne sauce.

Zorba's and Picasso's were the highlights, but I also enjoyed Cajun King (what's not to love about endless fried catfish and beignets), Cattlemen's (great burgers), and Mi Pueblo (unpretentious, classic Tex Mex).

As much fun as I had exploring the local fare, my favorite food experiences were trying out some new recipes on my parents and learning some of their cooking tricks...more on that soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment