Monday, June 27, 2011

Saying goodbye to strawberry season

Strawberries have always been my favorite fruit, so I'm sad that strawberry season is coming to a close. To make the most of the fresh strawberries at my local farmer's market, my friend Emily and I made Martha Stewart's Strawberry Icebox Pie:

Not quite as picturesque as Martha's pie, but still delicious!
Say what you will about Martha, she has some good pie recipes. The strawberry filling augmented the strawberry taste instead of overwhelming the strawberry flavor with sugar. But we did modify other parts of the recipe.  I had several pre-made pie crusts at hand, so we baked one of those instead of making the graham cracker crust. We also substituted the whipped cream with mascarpone cheese, which was a nice twist. In all, it was the perfect way to get the most out of strawberry season.

No comments:

Post a Comment