Thursday, September 30, 2010

Napa: wine, cake, bread, and prosciutto wrapped figs

I love cake, bread, and wine so what could be better than a winery that seems to combine them all?  With this in mind, I booked reservations at Cakebread Cellars.  Sadly, the Cakebread namesake comes from a family name and are no cake or bread samples at the wine tasting.  Fortunately, the wine more than made up for it.


Next my family and I went to William Harrison vineyards.  It's a smaller winery and very laid back.  The tasting was quite good, the stand out was their chardonnay.  I'm skeptical of chardonnays and was surprised to find myself buying a bottle.

Our last stop was Mondavi.  


They have an excellent wine 101 tour that explains the vineyards, how wine is made, and how to taste wine.  Plus they gave us a prosciutto wrapped fig!


I loved Napa, but if I were to do it again, I would reverse the order of wineries visited.  Mondavi is a great way to start the trip, William Harrison is the ideal middle ground, and Cakebread is the perfect way to finish the tour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment