Monday, August 9, 2010

Ramen - no longer just for college kids and starving artists...

When I hear someone say ramen, two words immediately come to mind: college and desperation. I associate the noodles with 50 cent deals at Giant, not cutting edge cuisine.

But ramen done right can be gourmet, as I found out when I tried Ippudo. In 1985, Shigemi Kawahara, the Ramen King, opened the first Ippudo in Japan. Since then, it's made its way to New York, where it thrived in the notoriously competitive New York restaurant scene.

The night I went, the small restaurant was packed. Chefs prepared the food in an open kitchen. In spite of the calm, Zen-inspired decor, Ippudo bustled with excitement. The service was excellent. If the ramen was half as good as the Ippudo experience, I knew I would love it. I was not disappointed, the classic ramen was addictive. The broth was subtly spiced and I couldn't get enough. The pork melted in my mouth. This was not my college ramen.

No comments:

Post a Comment